Innlegg

vRealize Automation 8 - Event Topics timeline

Bilde
To a lot of vRealize Automation 6-7 Managers moving to vRealize Automation 8 is a rather large adaptation of new skillsets. What we have currently been looking at is adapt the new Event Topic model. And there is a lot of Event Topics to follow, but I still feel something is missing. Full list of Event Topics documented @VMware Docs Compute allocation Yes Issued before the allocation of  resourcenames  and  hostselections . Both of these properties can be modified at this stage. Compute post provision Yes Issued after a resource was provisioned successfully. Compute post removal Yes issued after a compute resource was removed. Compute provision Yes Issued before the resource is provisioned at the hypervisor layer. Note: You can change the allocated IP address. Compute removal Yes Issued before the resource is removed. Compute reservation Yes Issued at the time of reservation. Note: You can change the placement order. Deployment action completed Yes Issued after a deployment action is fi

Free your own time

Bilde
Automate your every task! Free your own time, use this time for what gives value for you.  * Take on more tasks * Free your time * Accomplish more Use triggers, events or shedules to perform these tasks. Be smart about your work time.

vRA 7.6 Patch 19

Bilde
  vRA 7.6 Patch 19 https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/70911 Easy installer

vRealize Orchestrator and Microsoft Powershell Double Hops

Recently started automating Microsoft DNS and the best way in seems to be through Powershell . One of the common ways to deal with this is through a Powershell Host defined in vRO. You set it up securely with HTTPS and Kerberos and specify the credentials of a user with DNS server rights enough to see and manipulate the content of the zones and records you want to automate. So far so good, and you start developing the PowerShell commands you might need. Resolve-DnsName (Get-ADDomain).DNSroot -type ns | ? {$_.type -eq "A"} | select name,Address,IP4Address,IPAddress | ConvertTo-Json -depth 1 -Compress Get-DnsServerZone -ComputerName (Get-ADDomain).DNSroot Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName (Get-ADDomain).DNSroot And they all work out nicely when you run them from your Powershell host, but once you run them from vRO in the Powershell session you run into the double-hop auth problem . There are many ways to deal with this, but often you need to thinker both with the Powers

vRA 7.6 Patch 18

Bilde
As it seems every week now VMware releases a hotfix for vRA7.6 https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/70911 Installing these usually go rather smoothly, but today we ran into a smaller issue. Installation got stuck at rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs /usr/lib/vcac/patches/repo/cafe/patchRpms/*.rpm We tried to manually update the packages and found there was a transaction lock warning: waiting for transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000 This can be fixed by rebuilding the RPM database. rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.00* rpm --rebuilddb Now we were more or less ready to revert to snapshots and restart the whole process when I noticed there is actually a retry option, previously when patches failed we had to restart the whole process.  Cheers VMware that was useful 

Possible pitfall - duplicate config_admin users - Using vRSLCM as deployment engine

Bilde
Some days ago as vRA 8.2 Patch 1 came along we decided to create a new test environment to see the upgrade process. It went rather smoothly as this is not the first environment to be deployed with vRSLCM. Few minutes of prepare vRSLCM and deployment went good, logging on to the new environment and then proceeded to install vRA 8.2 Patch 1.  https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.2/rn/vRealize-Automation-82-releasenotes.html Now all went rather smoothly and we were please with the result. Sometime during the few last days also vIDM was patched to 3.3.3 https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-Access/3.3/rn/VMware-Identity-Manager-333-Release-Notes.html And all of a sudden we lost access to our little test environment. As it was only there to test the upgrade patch 1, it was not a large issue, but strange never the less. In this test environment, we did not set up any other access roles, besides the default config_admin user. We could log in with it, but we had no access